The Mattos Uniform policy is in effect the 2019-20 school. Students should be in full uniform daily starting the first day of school.
- Shirts: solid white, navy or burgundy collared
- Pants: navy or khaki
- Shorts/Skorts: navy or khaki
- Jumpers/Skirts: navy or khaki
- Sweaters/Sweatshirts: solid white, navy, burgundy
- Belts: navy, black or brown
- Shoes: closed toe athletic shoes (exceptions during rain)
- Socks: white, navy, or black
- Tights: white, navy, or black (toe to waist)
- Leggings: solid white, navy (under dresses or skirts only, not alone)
- Hats/hoods: may be worn outside only, must not cover face
- Garments in dress code colors can be purchased at any retail store of your choice.
- School Spirit Shirts with the Mattos Logo can be purchased through the PTA (details forthcoming) and these shirts can be worn on Fridays only.
For a positive experience with uniforms here are some tips and reminders from our community discussions:
- Be prepared and have uniforms ready for the first day of school.
- Try different styles to see which best fit the needs of your child.
- There will be a financial investment early but in the long run a cost savings.
- There will also be saving of time getting ready in the morning, reducing stress and school tardies.
- Stay with the program. Deviation from the policy begins with the parents, causes confusion to students and frustration among parents. Stay on program and implementation will become natural and simple to do.
Free Dress Days
There will be free dress days on special days announced by the principal such as picture days. On these days students will need to dress according to the MUSD Student Appearance Code.
MUSD Student Appearance Code
All students must adhere to the Student Appearance Code. Students may not opt out of this appearance code. Students must exercise appropriate discretion in their choice of clothing and personal grooming so as not to cause a disturbance or interruption for themselves or to others.
- Examples of unacceptable clothing are tube tops, tank tops, sport bras, halter-tops, and short shorts. The torso must be covered at all times even when arms are lifted or when bending over. Undergarments must not be visible.
- Clothing must be size appropriate for school activities. Shoes must be worn at all times and be safe and appropriate for all school activities. Due to daily recess activities, closed-toed shoes are required at elementary schools.
- Hats and other non-religious head coverings may not be worn indoors.
- Belts must be of appropriate length and contained within belt loops. Students may not wear objects or any other items of apparel that present a health or safety hazard to themselves or to others.
- Graffiti or ‘tags’ will not be allowed on any item brought to school, i.e. backpacks, personal belongings, books, folders, notebooks, etc.
- The following items are not acceptable: any clothing or person belongings that may be deemed as gang related, that depicts the use of drugs, alcohol or tobacco, that contains offensive language, graphics or symbols, or are deemed as inappropriate by the site administrator.